Dr. Ribal Georges Sabat, CD, rmc, PhD
Associate Professor of Physics
CoordinatesOffice: Sawyer Building, Room 5303
Laboratories: Sawyer Building, Rooms 4401 and 5331
Telephone: (613) 541-6000 Office extension 6721 or Lab extension 6451
Prof. Ribal Georges Sabat
Department of Physics and Space Science
Royal Military College of Canada
PO Box 17000, Station Forces
Kingston, Ontario CANADA
Prof. Sabat is an expert in optics and photonics, as well as ferroelectric and optical materials. Specifically, he conducts research on measuring, understanding and enhancing the physical properties of solid-state materials to be used in functional devices and applications. He mainly conducts research on the laser-inscription of holographic optical nanostructures on photomechanical azobenzene thin-films, and their subsequent use in practical applications, such as surface relief diffraction gratings, optical modulators and light waveguides. He also uses these nanostructures for the generation of surface plasmon resonance on dielectric/metal interfaces for incorporation in a variety of sensors and biosensors, as well as for enhancing the efficiency of organic thin film solar cells. Furthermore, Dr. Sabat is an expert on measuring and understanding the physical properties of piezoelectric and electrostrictive materials under varying operating conditions. His research will pave the way for device engineers and manufacturers to develop applications in areas such as optical communications and devices, nanotechnology, automotive, aerospace, medical, energy harvesting, and many more...
- 2009 - PhD in Experimental Physics from the Royal Military College of Canada. Supervisor: Prof. Paul Rochon.
- 2005 - MSc in Experimental Physics from the Royal Military College of Canada. Supervisor: Prof. Binu Mukherjee.
- 2000 - BSc in Honours Physics from the Royal Military College of Canada.
- 2015 - present: Associate professor of physics at RMC
- 2016 - present: Adjunct associate professor of physics at Queen's University
- 2013 - 2016: Adjunct assistant professor of physics at Queen's University
- 2010 - 2015: Assistant professor of physics at RMC
- 1996 - 2010: Officer in the Canadian Air Force
- Member of the SPIE – Society of Photo-optical Instrumentation Engineers
- Member of the OSA – Optical Society of America
Courses taught at RMC in 2018-19
- PHF205: Mécanique (Fall 2018)
- PHF302: Électromagnétisme (Fall 2018)
- PHF307: Optique (Winter 2019)
- PHE307: Optics (Winter 2019)
- PH503: Advanced Optics [Course outline]
Research Funding Support
- Canadian Air Force - ADM(MAT) / DGAEPM (TA&S) 4
- Canadian Defense Academy Research Program
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada Discovery Grants
We support the VROC program:
We also support the MITACS program. Canadian companies may inquire with Prof. Sabat: